Wednesday, December 17, 2008

004 Best Of 2008: Extend Play

This is installment #1 of my "Best Of 2008" Lists. Please, please, note that there are so many albums that come out in a year that I do not even get the chance to listen to, that I could make a category for them alone each year. With that said, I would LOVE for you to email me or post a comment letting me know what I should check out that might alter my lists.

Here we go.

Best EP's of 2008:
Limited to my knowledge & opinion
.

5. [Tie] honeyhoney - Loose Boots

I was privileged enough to spend somewhere along the lines of 6 Weeks selling merchandise for these two amazing musicians while they opened for Lifehouse in the Winter/Spring of '08. Fantastic live and won me over night after night.


Listen To: Thursday Night, Shiny Toy Gun



5. [Tie] Brighten - Early Love

As delicious as the cover looks if you're a fan of pop-punk and indie rock with interesting tunings and vicious melodies. There is a reason that Justin co-writes a lot of songs with the scene's most rising bands, he's got an ear for pop that he's not afraid to use.

Listen To: Carolina




4. Streets Of Fire - The Ghost - EP

Obviously a little biased here as this came out on my label, but the songs are reminiscent of an alt-90s pop-rock that is missing in modern music while not being afraid to show a pop-punk influence. It's catchy and great to listen to. It is a perfect introduction to this band and I am very excited to see where it leads them to musically.

Listen To: Your Turn, Taking Minutes From Myself



3. Monument Monument - Sleep Well When You Get There

A hidden treasure in the state of Michigan, this is a perfect EP for fans of Copeland, Jimmy Eat World, and The Fray. Melodies are spot on, the bass, well entire rhythm department, has you tapping your toe and wanting to sing along before you even know the well crafted lyrics.


Listen To: This Can't Be Love, You Can't Get Any Further Away



2. The Weakend - Tornado Days EP

Again, I might sound biased but this band has come so far and down a beaten and torn path at that. This EP, sadly their final, truly showcases their potential as musicians. Intricate drums and guitar, vocals and lyrics that make you wonder what is going inside of Andrew's head... Fans of At The Drive In, Circa Survive, Thrice

Listen To: Werewolves of Detroit, Black Hole Party



1.
[Tie] Paper Route - Are We All Forgotten

An EP that you simply have to listen to and furthermore see performed live. I saw them for a month straight on the Paramore tour and my mind was blown away night after night at how well crafted each individual song was and how every moment of every song was an experience that you couldn't put into words, just music. I HIGHLY reccommend that you go watch this band live if you want to see one of the best new bands on the touring circuit.

Listen To: Are We All Forgotten


1. [Tie] Steve Moakler - Like I Mean It

If the world of music were fair, Moakler would have long since graduated from the title of "my favorite unsigned artist," but while unsigned, he is penning some of the perfect anthems and sing-a-longs with the perfect amount of singer/songwriter vibe to them. He should be winning hearts everywhere with his John Mayer resembling songs.

Listen To: 18

2 comments:

Tanya Gelman said...

steve moakler + brighten = <3

some of the bests.


this is my first time reading your blog and i can't wait to check back very often to see what else you've discussed!

thanks!! :)

anduhboom said...

i love that you know about monument monument. that was one of the first bands i ever booked. good guys. ill check out the others.